- This event has passed.
XBGlobal.com – Woodbine TB – The Queen´s Plate 2022
August 21, 2022
163. Queen’s Plate Notes: Final Workouts; Vella: „We are ready!”
The finishing touches were put on the Queen’s Plate probables as they prepare for the August 21 classic worth $1 million live on https://secure.xbglobal.com/main.aspx
By: Jennifer Morrison | August 15, 2022
A flurry of Queen’s Plate projected starters came out for their final workouts at Woodbine on Sunday morning, August 14, and excitement for the 163rd Plate is at full height.
Trainer Dan Vella sent out Queenston and Coronation Futurity winner THE MINKSTER for a 5-furlong work on the Tapeta surface with David Moran on board. Ray and Debbie Burke’s colt, coming off his first career loss in the Plate Trial when he emerged with heat exhaustion and the ‘thumps’, has bounced back well.
“The Minkster went great. David and I were very happy,” said Vella. “I got him in 1:00.40 and out in 1:13 and change [for six furlongs]. He cooled out great.” Woodbine clockers reported they timed the colt in 1:01.80 and out in 1:15 during the busy session.
Probable Plate favourite RONDURE, winner of the Grade 3 Marine Stakes for Borders Racing Stable and trainer Katerina Vassilieva, did a steady four furlongs in :47.80 under Ramiro Castillo, a leading jockey at Ajax Downs.
I was happy with Rondure’s work,” said Vassilieva. “He did it easily and comfortably and galloped out well.” Rondure will be ridden by American jockey Flavian Prat in the Plate.
Woodbine Oaks winner MOIRA, who won the big filly race by more than 10 lengths over Sister Seagull (who came back to win Sunday’s Bison City Stakes) received rave reviews from some onlookers for her 59.80 prep in company with the promising colt Gaston.
“She worked very well, galloped out strongly, and did it in hand,” said trainer Kevin Attard. “We’re very happy with where she’s at right now.”
The fleet IRONSTONE sped five furlongs in 58.40 in company with Hit the Point for trainer William Armata.
Sam-Son Farms’ DANCIN IN DA’NILE worked five furlongs in 1:00.30 with Awesome Strike, SHAMATEUR, trained by Sid Attard, outworked company in a 59.60 breeze, and HUNT MASTER was clocked in 1:00 for five furlongs.
At Saratoga on Saturday, Chiefswood Stables’ CAUSIN’ MAYHEM, trained by Todd Pletcher, worked four furlongs in 48.77 on the dirt.
The post position draw for the Plate and both Saturday and Sunday cards of racing will be held on Wednesday, Aug. 17.
Probable Queen’s Plate Field (sire), owner, trainer, notes, jockey
(in order of Canadian Thoroughbred‘s rankings)
1. Rondure (Oxbow) – Borders Racing Stable, Katerina Vassilieva, Marine Stakes winner, 95 Beyer Speed Figure – Flavian Prat
– Jockey Flavian Prat won the 2019 Plate with One Bad Boy, Borders and Vassilieva seek first Plate win
2. Moira (Ghostzapper) –X-Men Racing, Madaket Stable, SF Bloodstock, Kevin Attard, Woodbine Oaks romp, 92 Beyer Figure – Rafael Hernandez
– Oaks winners are tough on Plate, Kevin Attard seeks first Plate
3. The Minkster (English Channel) – Sea Glass Stable, Dan Vella, won Queenston with an 86 Beyer, heat exhaustion when 6th Plate Trial – David Moran
– Buffalo owners Ray and Debbie Burke seek first Plate winner, Vella has won twice, and used to train Rondure
4. Sir for Sure (Sligo Bay (Ire)) – Heste Sport, Mark Casse, Won Plate Trial, 83 Beyer – Declan Carroll
– Longtime owners/breeders Rene and Darlene Hunderup seek first Plate win
5. Duke of Love (Cupid) – MyRacehorse, Josie Carroll, troubled 4th in Plate Trial, 76, 2nd Marine, 86 Justin Stein
– Horse has some 700 owners through microshare syndicate, Josie has won 3 Plates
6. Hall of Dreams (Lemon Drop Kid) – Gary Barber, Wachtel Stable, Peter Deutsch-Leonard Schliefer (Pantofel Stable), Mark Casse, 2nd in Plate Trial – 79 Beyer Patrick Husbands
7. Ironstone (Mr. Speaker) – Tequesta Racing and Jupiter Leasing, William Armata, 3rd Marine Stakes, 85 Beyer Kazushi Kimura
– $7,000 purchase by Adrian Meli and his mom Helen Bruno, seek first Plate win, William Armata’s dad Vito won Plate with TJ’s Lucky Moon
8. Causin’ Mayhem (Into Mischief) – Chiefswood Stable, Todd Pletcher, 3rd Trial, 76, maiden win, 84 – Antonio Gallardo
– trainer Todd Pletcher won 1998 Plate with Archers Bay Chiefswood won 2004 Plate with Niigon
9. Dancin in Da’Nile (Pioneerof The Nile) –Sam-Son Farms, Gail Cox, 5th Trial, 3rd in turf race, 84 Beyer, Shaun Bridgmohan
– Sam-Son Farms down to just a handful of runners as it closes up business, Gail Cox seeks first Plate win
10. Shamateur (Shaman Ghost) – Stronach Stables, Sid Attard, 2nd turf optional, 73 Beyer Luis Contreras
-trainer Sid Attard seeks first Plate win
11. Hunt Master (Hunters Bay) –Openwood Farm (Susan Rasmussen), Angus Buntain, 2nd optional 78, won seven furlong optional; Emma-Jayne Wilson
– jockey Wilson has won Plate on Mike Fox, owner Susan Rasmussen, trainer Angus Buntain seek first Plate win
Tags: 163rd Queen’s Plate, Moira, OLG Triple Crown, Rondure, The Minkster,